Monday, October 17, 2011

Upcycling

Do you ever look around your home and start jumping up and down, clapping, because everything is coming together?  Yeah.  Me neither.  That's why I'm writing about.  It wouldn't have occurred to me, if I hadn't done it.

This afternoon I began painting some of the upper cupboards from the kitchen, for the laundry room.  Now, painting these cupboards is something I have wanted to do since we moved into this house (nine years ago).  But Manny didn't like the idea.  Didn't think I could do a good job.  Blah, blah blah!  Whatever.  Now that they are coming down, nobody cares!  And that suits me fine.


Recycle what you can.
But of course!
Why throw out something that you can use?
Maybe so you don't become a pack-rat?
But this is not recycling.
Cuggles , helping me paint the base coat.
This is upcycling.
This is taking something I never liked, and turning it into something that makes me smile!
This is art.
This is making a house a home.

I've done that before...
Made a house a home...
But it always resulted in moving.
I'm not sure what the connection is, but every time I have felt at home in a place, we have ended up moving within a few months.  Okay, so some homes I didn't live in for more than a few months, but that is another story.

My four year old, Cuggles, left off watching cartoons on YouTube, to help me paint!  He is so happy to be helping me make the house beautiful.  (You know, having a floor that you don't care about is really convenient sometimes...  That's why I'm getting as many of these projects done now, before completing the kitchen.)

We put on a base coat of white, because I want to give these an aged look:
A base coat of white paint.

Then I painted them an aqua color, that almost matches the paint chip on my idea board:

I only painted the parts of the cupboard that are really going to show.  Since the inside is all laminate, it will only get scuffed with use... if I want something different, there is contact paper.

This aqua is made up of the left over ceiling paint, a bit of sky blue paint and some white.  I was afraid that if I just used what I had left over from the ceiling, I would run out before I was done.  These still need another coat or two of paint, but that will have to wait for morning.

And this? We've been on the topic of great looking things, haven't we?  How about something great sounding?




And James is so damn sexy...
 Of course, there is also Kirk.

No comments:

Post a Comment