Wednesday, September 28, 2011

Going Blue

A couple years ago, my sister and her husband found a house in their area that had sat empty for 20 years.  It was a 1928 kit home, in nearly original condition.  Sure, sitting empty for 20 years hadn't helped the roof, so there was some damage, but overall, one could see what it had been.  The rich colors of paint on the walls, the quirky flooring, the porch swing, the woodwork... it was all intact.  

The original screen door of a 1928 kit home.
This pastel robin's egg blue screen door set the tone for what was to come.  A very classic color, soothing and inviting.

When I began my remodel, I decided that this color must be used somewhere.  One of my goals in remodeling is to bring in an old country farm house feel...

Something reminisce of the home described in Farmer Boy, or the 1850's mansion I was in, in Bala Cynwyd,  Pennsylvania, or the Victorian style farm house I grew up in (before my grandma and her hammer tried to modernize it by beating off all of the trim!  Damn the '60s.)

I remember when my dad was doing some remodeling, finding the original rose embossed wallpaper in the kitchen, and thinking it was just the most beautiful stuff ever.

Now, I can't quite imagine pink roses all over my kitchen, but then, I'm a little afraid of wallpaper in the kitchen.  With all the canning I do, I have a feeling all the steam would cause it to fall right off.

But back to the blue...  I had to find just the right place to use it, where it wouldn't be too much and where it wouldn't get lost in the shuffle.  I finally decided my kitchen ceiling would be the best place.

My new blue ceiling!
Blue ceilings have long intrigued me.  From what I have read, blue was the first color of paint to be used on ceilings, mimicking the sky.  And I think there is a reason the sky is blue on a clear day.  A reason beyond particles and wave lengths.  A reason that involves happiness, just like sunshine on clear day.

So, yesterday I took left-over paint samples a friend had given me and mixed and mixed, until I had just what I wanted.  *ahem*  Those cupboards and the dark blue walls are going to go.  Their time is up.

2 comments:

  1. WOW! Bala Cynwyd, Pennsylvania. That's where my parents grew up!!

    btw, I like the blue:)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Bala Cynwyd was amazing! The huge trees and all the old buildings... The people I met there were neat too.

    ...and thanks. :)

    ReplyDelete