Tuesday, February 7, 2012

Organizing the Kitchen

This past week I put together the basic boxes for my upper cupboards in the kitchen and began installing them.  The problem with remodeling a kitchen and using it at the same time is that you can't just tear everything apart and get it done.  It is one little bit at a time.

Extra coffee supplies in bread pans.
Saturday, hubby was home, so I had him help me hang the first little cupboard, where my dishes are eventually going to go.  For now, I moved the cooking essentials to it.

I was amazed to see that 90% of what I use fit on one shelf!  That's right -- the bottom shelf, less than 24 inches wide, holds my essentials... and I have eight more feet of cabinetry to install.

Next, I cleared out the cupboards I wanted hubby to take down.  He fought with them a while and asked several times if this was really worth the work.  I assured him it was!  I don't think he believed me, but oh well.  He's only doing the heavy work.

The stuff from the cupboards covered the table, necessitating several 'picnic' style meals -- you know, when you throw a drop cloth on the living room floor and tell the family, 'Set your britches down and eat here.  Watch your foot, don't knock the pickles over!'

In between meals I got the wall space patched and painted.  Since my cupboards don't have backs, it is important to me that the wall behind them looks great.  I was ready to have hubby hang the next cupboard Sunday afternoon, but he wanted to take the family skiing and skating, so we did that instead.  I was still hoping to squeeze it in that evening... but he decided to introduce the boys to football instead.

I love the way the white walls look with the aqua ceiling.  Can't wait to get the tile back-splash up!


So, instead of feeling lost, because things weren't working out according to MY plans, I decided to do what I could -- I organized -- my way.

Um... yes, the cupboard is in the living room.
I had decided, several months, ago that when my new cupboards were in, things were going to be organized in containers, like with like, rather than sorting by size.  And there are going to be work stations.  Certain things are going to be done in certain spaces.  Every aspect of the kitchen has been designed around this, as much as was possible.

I couldn't find aqua containers -- hot pink and lime, but no aqua -- like I wanted, so I bought extra white ones and spray painted them. 

I got everything -- all the stuff that has been packed into my cupboards -- organized.  It ALL takes up less space than is available in ONE new cupboard. I'm completely amazed!

This morning, I got up, went through my normal drink coffee, check facebook/read blogs routine, and got another surprise.  Over on Tidy Mom was a kitchen organizational guide, and the baking supplies were organized just the way I had organized mine!
Extracts and food coloring in a little desk organizer are easy to pull out of the baking tub and will not get scattered.
This may seem silly, but it was very exciting to me, because it confirms that I do know how to organize and my goal of a 'neat and tidy' home is not out of reach!

No comments:

Post a Comment